Affected bones become brittle and susceptible to fractures.The disorder is very common among people over age 70. It affects women four times more often than men, due to hormonal changes that occur in menopause.
Several tissue salts are known for their action on bone metabolism.
What are tissue (cell) salts?
Dr.Schuessler, a 19-th century German physician, developed the 12 tissue salts, also known as cell salts. They are 12 minerals available in each cell and tissue that are essential to body`s metabolism. When these vital tissue salts are in the correct ratio or concentration, the body is healthy. As soon as the tissue salts ratio is disturbed, the proper cell functioning is impaired, resulting in illness. We should get tissue salts through our diet but due to our modern lifestyle we lose every day minerals through stress, bad nutrition and environmental toxins.
Tissue salts are homeopathic dilutions of the mineral salts that our cells need to function properly. Although they are not classed as genuine homeopathic preparations, they are offered in low dilutions such as 6X and 12X.
The best tissue salts for osteoporosis
The tissue salts for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis include:
Tissue salt No1 Calcarea fluor (Calcium fluoride) –
Calcium fluoride increases the elasticity of the connective tissue, ligaments and tendons as well as the firmness of the bones and teeth.
Tissue salt No2 Calcarea phos (Calcium phosphate) – Bones act as reserves of minerals important for the body, most notably calcium and phosphorus. Calcium phosphate is an important nutrient to build strong bones and teeth. It also regulates the formation of extra bone, thus preventing the development of spurs.
Tissue salt No11 Silicea (Silica) - Silica is silicon dioxide, a trace mineral found in bones, teeth, skin and eyes. Silica acts as a regulating factor for the deposition of calcium and phosphorous in bone tissue. Studies in animals indicate that silicon dioxide supplementation reduces the number of osteoclast cells, thus primarily preventing bone reabsorption and bone loss. Silica is absorbed very slowly by the body and in osteoporosis it has to be taken as a long-term treatment.
Food sources for the above tissue salts
For faster results your diet should also contain more foods rich in the tissue salts for osteoporosis.
- Foods containing Calcarea fluor include organically grown oranges, pumpkin grapes, lemons, rye flour, buckwheat and mustard.
- Foods rich in Calcarea phos include organically grown cabbage, carrots, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, oats, alfalfa sprouts, probiotic yoghurt and eggs.
- Foods that contain Silicea include oats, wheat, nettles, dandelion, horsetail, chicory, celery and apricots.
How to take tissue salts?
If you want to take tissue salts, it is not necessary to consult a health practitioner unless your health conditions are chronic or severe. Tissue salts are safe and effective. They are available in tablet form in most pharmacies or health stores.
- For prevention of osteoporosis: Take 3 tablets of each salt and let them dissolve in your mouth. For best results use them once daily for 3-4 months.
- For treatment of osteoporosis: Take 5 tablets of each salt once daily. We recommend continuous therapy for 9 months or longer.