What causes a sore throat?
Most sore throats are caused by viruses that cause the common cold and flu. Less often, sore throats are due to bacterial infections, allergies, smoking or breathing polluted air.
What are the symptoms of tonsillitis?
- Sore throat
- Pain when you swallow
- Red and swollen tonsils
- White patches in your throat or on your tonsils
- Swollen, sore glands in your jaw and throat
- Abdominal pain and vomiting (usually in children)
What is strep throat?
Strep throat is caused by a Streptococcus bacteria. About 15%-40% of sore throats in children are related to strep. What is important and different about strep throat is that if it isn`t treated it can sometimes result in kidney inflammation or rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to a rash, inflamed joints and, in severe cases, damage to the valves of the heart.
For this reason, health care practitioners recommend a rapid strep test for a patient with a sore throat. The test takes 15-20 minutes. If the result is negative, it is often followed with a strep culture. If either of these is positive, the sore throat is generally treated with penicillin or another antibiotic.
What is mononucleosis?
Mononucleosis (mono) is a viral infection caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. One of the main signs of mono is a sore throat that may last for 1 to 4 weeks. Other symptoms include swollen glands in your neck and armpits, fever, headache and feeling tired.
Symptoms caused by mono can last for 4 weeks or more. There is no specific conventional treatment for mono. Homeopathy is a safe and effective treatment for fast recovery from mononucleosis.
What are the homeopathic remedies for a sore throat?
The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu. Antibiotics don`t work against viruses. In viral sore throat homeopathy brings immediate symptom relief. In a bacterial infection, a less common cause of sore throat, one can use additional homeopathic treatment to the conventional drugs prescribed by his doctor.
- Belladonna is the most common homeopathic medicine for the onset of a sore throat; sensation of dryness and scratching in the throat; bright red tonsils. In children sore throat with high fever of sudden onset with hot red face and sweating.
- Apis - Tonsils and uvula are swollen to double their normal size but they are rather pinkish and not as red as Belladonna sore throat. Tonsils are uvula look like as if filled with gelatin. The patient sucks ice or drinks cold drinks to relieve the pain.
- Phytollacca is a scientifically proven immune booster. Dark blue pillars with pain radiating towards the ears. Swollen painful lymph nodes.
- Mercurius solubilis - severe pain while swallowing, red and swollen tonsils with white patches; swollen lymph nodes, coated tongue and bad breath. Patient is extremely sensitive to temperature changes. Night sweats, children are often drooling during sleep.
- Hepar sulphur - Sore throat with sharp pains, as if a splinter or piece of glass were being poked into the tonsils. Throat is extremely sensitive to touch and cold and is better from warmth. Sore throat is often associated with hoarseness or croupy cough.
What if I have multiple episodes of sore throat?
Recurrent sore throat indicates a weakened immune system. In such cases, constitutional treatment by a professional homeopath is highly recommended.
Homeopathic treatment enhances resistance to infection. Hence, it can prevent chronic infection of the tonsils and help avoid tonsillectomy (surgical removal of the tonsils).
For more information on homeopathic treatment`s efficacy in ear, nose and throat disorders click here.