What is constipation?
Constipation is usually defined as hard and dry stools with fewer than three bowel movements per week. Severe constipation is defined as less than one bowel movement per week.
Medical evaluation for the cause of constipation should be done when constipation is of sudden onset, severe, worsening, associated with other symptoms such as loss of weight.
What causes constipation?
A number of factors can cause constipation including:
- Not enough fluids and fiber in your diet
- Lack of physical activity
- Changes in life-style, such as travel, pregnancy, aging
- Specific illnesses or conditions
- Problems with the colon and rectum
- Some medications
- Hormonal changes, such as pregnancy or underactive thyroid gland
- Abuse of laxatives
Homeopathic treatment for constipation
Homeopathy is a holistic, nontoxic system of medicine that is individualized to your symptoms. Numerous homeopathic remedies exist for constipation. Homeopathic medicines are safe and effective. They are an excellent choice especially in childhood, pregnancy and elderly patients because they have no side effects.
The prescription depends upon symptoms and the underlying cause of the constipation. The goal of therapy is one bowel movement every two or three days without straining.
- Nux vomica - constipation is due to lack of physical activity, junk food or overeating, alcohol. Constipation is often associated with hemorrhoids.
- Alumina treats cases where the straining is a marked symptom and even soft stools require great straining to be evacuated. It is a common medicine for infants on formula.
- Bryonia is of great help in treating dry hard and large stools, as if burnt. Constipation is due to severe dryness of mucous membranes.
- Causticum - elderly patients with atherosclerosis (or after a stroke) with constipation and painful straining; common use in stubborn cases of constipation in children with stools that pass easier when standing.
- Graphites - constipation with no urges in an overweight, chilly patient; constipation with hemorrhoids and fissures oozing honey-like discharge; constipation in patients with underactive thyroid gland.
- Opium - no urges, paralysis of peristalsis; constipation with hard, black, dark stools; constipation after surgery.
- Collinsonia - painful straining and large stools; common use in pregnancy; constipation and hemorrhoids.
- Hydrastis - chronic constipation, stools enveloped in mucus; abuse of laxatives
Simple lifestyle changes, such as getting more exercise, drinking more fluids and eating a high-fiber diet, can help relieve symptoms of constipation and they can be used together with the homeopathic treatment.