Cold sores can interrupt our social lives.
And they always seem to pop up at the worst moments.
What are cold sores?
Cold sores are a group of tiny blisters that occur on or around your lips. They often start with an itching or burning sensation around your mouth. Small fluid-filled sores will then appear. After the blisters break a crust is formed and it heals within 7-10 days.
What causes cold sores?
Cold sores are caused by a herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) closely related to the one that causes genital herpes (HSV-2). Both of these herpes simplex viruses can affect your mouth or your genitals.
How to prevent infection?
Cold sores are extremely contagious. You can easily infect others. Shared towels, razors and eating utensils, as well as kissing, may spread HSV-1. Oral sex can spread HSV-1 to the genitals and HSV-2 to the lips.
If you have unhealed cold sores, you should avoid close contact with people with weakened immune system, such as newborn babies, people on chemotherapy or with AIDS. Cold sores are most contagious when they are oozing fluid, yet the virus can be transmitted to others even during times when you have no blisters.
What triggers a cold sore recurrence?
There are many factors that can trigger a cold sore outbreak.
Anything that lowers the immune system can influence recurrences:
- exposure to strong sunlight
Homeopathic treatment for cold sores
Homeopathic medicines boost the immune system and successfully prevent and treat herpes simplex infections. Once the immune system is stimulated cold sores recurrences do not occur. Homeopathic treatment is also safe, effective and with no side effects.
Homeopathic medicines for fast relief from cold sores
Here is a group of homeopathic medicines for fast relief from cold sores. If used correctly, these can help ease your symptoms and speed up the healing time.
- Apis mellifica - stinging and burning swelling; pain is relieved by cold. To be effective, you should start taking Apis as soon as the first signs of a cold sore appear (when you feel a tingling, itching or burning sensation around your mouth). When blisters begin to appear, you have to switch to one of the medicines listed below.
- Cantharis is indicated for burning large blisters containing clear liquid.
- Mezereum - tiny blisters containing dark brownish fluid; then these rupture and thick yellowish scabs are formed with underlying pus.
- Rhus tox is the most commonly used medicine for fast relief from cold sores; tiny sores containing a clear, lemon-colored fluid; violent itching.
- Vaccinotoxinum is manufactured from small pox vaccine; indicated for recurrent herpes. A single dose in 30C at the very beginning of the flare-up.
How to take a homeopathic medicine?
Homeopathic medicines are FDA-regulated. They can be purchased in different strengths, or potencies over the counter. The 30C potency is most commonly used. Depending on the severity of the cold sores, place a few pellets (3 to 5) under the tongue to dissolve. Take the medicine every 2 to 4 hours. Increase the dosage interval as symptoms improve.
Constitutional homeopathic treatment for frequent recurrences
If you suffer from recurrent cold sores, you need a constitutional treatment prescribed by a homeopathic doctor that will boost your immune system and prevent recurrences.
Homeopathy does not focus on treating the herpes infection as a separate problem but instead treats the person as a whole. This same individual who has cold sores may also have other physical or emotional symptoms. The homeopathic medicine that will be prescribed to you will match the whole pattern of your symptoms and will strengthen your overall health.