Teething symptoms may include:
- swollen or tender gums
- refusing food
- chewing on solid objects
- irritability and sleep problems
Most pediatricians say that diarrhea, low fever or irritability aren`t related to teething but for many moms these symptoms are common for their teething babies.
You should always call your doctor if your baby has symptoms that worry you or a rectal temperature of 101 degrees F or higher.
Homeopathic medicines for sore gums
Teething can usually be handled at home with homeopathic medicines.
Homeopathy is a safe and natural way to relieve the red, swollen gums and the pain. Homeopathic medicines also help your baby calm down and get to sleep.
- Chamomilla 30C is the most common homeopathic teething medicine. The baby is unbearable, angry and screaming. Baby stops crying only when carried and rocked or when riding in a car (it is the passive movement that relieves the pain). Teething is often accompanied by greenish diarrhea and/or earache.
- Belladonna 30C - red, severely inflamed gums. Agitated child, can`t fall asleep. Teething is sometimes accompanied by tonsillitis or earache with high fever.
- Calcarea phosphorica 30C - teeth are very slow to come and teething is very painful; the first tooth usually appears at 10-11 months of age. Cranky baby, it is impossible to sooth him. Teeth are decaying soon after coming in. Tall and slender child.
- Mercurius solubilis 30C - excessive drooling, bad breath, coated tongue. Pain is often worse at night.
- Pulsatilla 30C - a clingy and tearful baby, wants to be held and comforted all the time. Pain is relieved by sucking a cold teething ring or when breathing cool, fresh air.
You should give the medicine that most closely matches your baby`s symptoms.
You can crash the pellets or dissolve them in some water. In severe pain give the baby 5 pellets 3-4 times daily.