There are several reasons why earaches are so common in children. In childhood Eustachian tubes are narrower and shorter than those of adults. Child`s immune system isn`t functioning properly because it is still developing.
Types of Ear Infections
There are three main types of ear infections:
- Acute otitis media - an acute inflammation of the middle ear with fluid and mucus inside the ear. It is a very painful condition, often preceded by a common cold.
- Otitis media with effusion (glue ear) - it occurs when the Eustachian tubes are not functioning properly and the fluid and mucus is trapped in the ear for 6 weeks or longer after the acute infection. Symptoms usually involve hearing loss or a sensation of fullness in the ear. Earache is not always present.
- Chronic otitis media with effusion - persisting infection with damage to the eardrum and middle ear.
What are the symptoms of an ear infection?
- Earache or a sensation of pressure in the ear
- Hearing loss
- Respiratory symptoms like runny nose and cough
- Yellow, white or blood tinged draining from ear
What are the risk factors for ear infections?
Risk factors for ear infections include:
- Age - infants and young children
- Babies who are bottle fed
- Respiratory infections
- Group child care
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Family history
What is the homeopathic treatment for recurrent middle ear infections?
Homeopathic medicines boost the immune system and successfully prevent and treat infections. Once the immune system is stimulated your child’s health will improve and the ear infections and other problems will permanently go away. Homeopathic treatment is also very safe, effective and with no side effects.
Homeopathy does not focus on treating ear infections as a separate problem but instead treats the child as a whole. This same child who has ear infections may also have other physical or emotional symptoms. The homeopathic medicine that will be prescribed to your child will match the whole pattern of his symptoms and will strengthen his overall health.
Many homeopathic medicines are used to successfully treat ear infections.
The most common homeopathic medicines for recurrent otitis media include:
- Arsenicum album - ear pain usually starts at night, often between 1 and 3am. The child presses the affected ear with his palm. A warm compress pressed against the ear brings immediate relief. In most illnesses the child gets tired but still he is restless and anxious.
- Calcarea carbonica - recurrent ear infections and tonsillitis; otitis is often due to enlarged adenoids; plump infant or young child with large head and tummy, with clammy head and hands; slow to sit, walk and develop teeth.
- Chamomilla - ear pain in irritable infants or children; pain seems intolerable. The child is angry and often screams and hits; ear infections are often associated with very painful teething. They may feel better when being carried constantly and rocked.
- Pulsatilla is often indicated in ear infections that follow a cold. Ear pain is often triggered by thick yellow-greenish rhinitis that blocks the Eustachian tubes. The child is tearful and wants to be comforted.
- Silicea works well in ear infections that linger on for weeks and when antibiotics aren`t helping; slow and prolonged pus formation; slender or skinny child with poor appetite prone to recurrent respiratory infections and complications.
For more information on homeopathic treatment`s efficacy in ear infections click here.