Excess stress also causes your brain to release cortisol, a chemical that contributes to weight gain.
There are several minerals in the form of tissue salts that can help you cope better with stress.
What are tissue (cell) salts?
Dr. Schuessler, a 19-th century German physician, developed the 12 tissue salts, also known as cell salts. They are 12 minerals available in each cell and tissue that are essential to body`s metabolism. When these vital tissue salts are in the correct ratio or concentration, the body is healthy. As soon as the tissue salts ratio is disturbed, the proper cell functioning is impaired, resulting in illness. We should get tissue salts through our diet but due to our modern lifestyle we lose every day minerals through stress, bad nutrition and environmental toxins.
Tissue salts are homeopathic dilutions of the mineral salts that our cells need to function properly. Although they are not classed as genuine homeopathic preparations, they are offered in low dilutions such as 6X and 12X.
The best tissue salts for stress relief
The tissue salts for stress relief include:
- Tissue salt No2 Calcarea phos (Calcium phosphate) – the body lacks this tissue salt because calcium can be quickly depleted during times of stress
- Tissue salt No5 Kali phos (Potassium phosphate) – this is the main tissue salt for the proper functioning of the nervous system. It has a healing action on the brain, the nerves, the muscles and the heart.
- Tissue salt No7 Magnesia phos (Magnesium phosphate) – As with calcium, too much stress can deplete your supply of magnesium, leading to symptoms such as insomnia, fatigue, agitation, anxiety, confusion and spasms. The magnesium tissue salt plays a number of important roles. It helps regulate calcium levels, energy metabolism and proper cardiovascular functioning.
Food sources for the above tissue salts
For faster results your diet should also contain more foods rich in the above mentioned tissue salts.
- Foods rich in Calcarea phosphorica include organically grown cabbage, carrots, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, oats, alfalfa sprouts, probiotic yoghurt and eggs.
- Foods containing Kali phos include peaches, pineapples, lemons, plums, beans, carrots, beetroot, squash, kale and asparagus.
- Foods that contain Magnesia phos include oats, peas, green and dried beans, leafy vegetables and figs.
How to take tissue salts?
If you want to take tissue salts, it is not necessary to consult a health practitioner unless conditions are chronic or severe. Tissue salts are safe and effective. They are available in tablet form in most pharmacies or health stores.
For stress prevention:
Take 3 tablets of each salt and let them dissolve in your mouth. For best results use them once daily for 3 or 4 months.
For fast stress relief:
Take 5 tablets of each salt twice daily. We recommend continuous therapy for 3 months or longer.
It is also important to develop a regular stress management routine, such as yoga, meditation or another relaxing activity, to prevent or alleviate the negative consequences of too much stress.